The Pathogen Bank collects and stores clinically relevant pathogens for use in research, product development and for laboratory validation, training and quality assurance.
It is based at the QMC and was originally developed by NUH working with the National Institute for Health Research to support clinical research.
- Isolates directly from the Pathogen Bank
- Prospective collection of isolates not in the Pathogen Bank
- Disc diffusion (EUCAST) antibiotic susceptibility testing
- E-Test antibiotic susceptibility testing
- MALDI-TOF Identification of isolates provided to us (not for retention in the Pathogen Bank)
The Bank currently has ~3.5K isolates of 94 different bacteria and yeast genera isolated from a number of different diagnostic specimens including urine, stool, sputum, blood cultures and puss. Our currently available pathogens are:
The Pathogen Bank has been utilised to generate data to gain CE-IVD accreditation for a number of diagnostic products to date.
Locally strains have been used in the validation and verification process for the introduction of new diagnostic assays and the training of biomedical scientists and clinical registrars.
Quality assurance of strains is maintained using a number of systems:
- temperature monitoring by Comark
- dual storage: each organism stored has two vials, one for use and one as a reserve, separately maintained
- random testing for viability.
All of our strains are stored on Microbank™ beads (Pro-Lab Diagnsoitics) and stored at -70°C for long term storage.
Using the Pathogen Bank
You can order directly from us, by completing the appropriate form and returning it by email:
For a more bespoke request or simply to gain additional information contact any of the Pathogen Bank team by email or by calling us on 0115 924 9924 extension 63453.
Tel: 0115 924 9924 Ext: 63453
Follow Us: @PathogenBank