Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Listen, respond, liaise and resolve: We are a confidential advice, support and information service and welcome feedback about our services as we recognise the value that comments, concerns and compliments can provide. Your feedback assists us in developing better quality, higher standards of healthcare and improved experiences for all of our service users, carers and families.
Nottingham University Hospitals are committed to providing safe and high-quality care to all of our service users. If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of care or treatment we will work with you to understand your concerns and seek to resolve them to your satisfaction.
What can we do?
We can talk to senior staff on your behalf: PALS at Nottingham University Hospitals is an easy-to-access service, with a friendly team who are here to offer you advice and information and help if you are having difficulties with our services.
- We can advise you and inform you how to make a formal complaint about our services
- We can give you information about POhWER, the NHS complaints advocacy service
- We can signpost you to other organisations, where necessary
Here in PALS, we will ensure that we work hard to:
- Get it right
- Be patient focused
- Be open and honest
- Put things right
When to use PALS?
If you have a concern about yourself or about a relative or friend in our care, we recommend that you raise your concerns first of all with the people who are providing the care for you or your relative. They will usually be best placed to help you and to put things right as soon as possible when they go wrong. If you want help with doing this, PALS can help you.
If you remain dissatisfied after you have raised your concerns, and wish to make a formal complaint, please visit the complaints section of our website for information on how to do this.
If you have a question about your care or about Nottingham University Hospitals and do not know who to ask, PALS may also be able to help you.
Organisations other than NUH
It may be that you are experiencing difficulties or have concerns with other NHS organisations or other services involved in your care. Although Nottingham University Hospitals PALS is unable to provide assistance in respect of these organisations, below are some contact details for local organisations which may be helpful.
- GPs and dentists: NHS England tel: 0300 3112233
- Mental health services: Nottinghamshire Healthcare PALS tel: 0800 015 3367
- Social care: please contact the local authority responsible for social care in your area.
- East Midlands Ambulance Service PALS tel: 0333 012 4216
If you are experiencing issues or difficulties with the Circle Nottingham Treatment Centre (on the QMC site), please contact the following:
POhWER is an independent advocacy service who can help you make a complaint about your NHS care. You can find out more about POhWER in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire by visiting their website at www.pohwer.net.
How to contact us
- By telephone on Freephone: 0800 183 0204 (free from a UK landline)
- From a mobile or abroad tel: 0115 924 9924 ext: 65412 or 62301
- By email: You can send us an email at email@example.com. You can also use the contact form on our website to send us an email
- By text message: If you are deaf or hard of hearing and would prefer to send us a text message, you can text us on 07812 270003
- By post: You can write to us at NUH NHS Trust, c/o PALS, Freepost, NEA 14614, Nottingham NG7 1BR
- Our office doors are open Monday to Friday 10.00 am to 12 noon and 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm (excluding Bank Holidays)
- An answerphone is in operation during the following times:
- When staff are speaking with another patient
- When staff are taking a telephone call
- Outside of office hours
Please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Useful information and links
- How to access your health records
- Freedom of Information requests
- Arriva Transport – 0345 266 9662
- NSL Transport – 0345 357 1556
- Benefits advice (https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits)
- Citizens Advice Bureau (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk)
- General Medical Council (www.gmc-uk.org)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (www.nmc.org)
- NHS Choices (www.nhs.uk/pages/home.aspx)
- Care Quality Commission (www.cqc.org.uk)
- Clinical Commissioning Group for Nottingham City (www.nottinghamcity.nhs.uk)
- Clinical Commissioning Group for Nottinghamshire North and East (www.nottinghamnortheastccg.nhs.uk)
- Clinical Commissioning Group for Nottingham West (www.nottinghamwestccg.nhs.uk)
- Clinical Commissioning Group for Rushcliffe (https://www.rushcliffeccg.nhs.uk)
- Clinical Commissioning Group for Newark & Sherwood (www.newarkandsherwoodccg.nhs.uk)
- NHS England (www.england.nhs.uk)