Cleft lip and palate
Nottingham University Hospitals (NUH) acts as the regional cleft lip and palate centre for the East Midlands and Yorkshire regions. If you or your child require surgery, it will be performed on the NUH campus.
Approximately one in 700 babies is born with cleft lip and palate (CLP) each year in the UK. You and your family will be seen by a specialised multidisciplinary team to ensure we make a full assessment of your treatment needs. This includes:
- Maxillofacial surgeons (cleft surgery involving bone)
- Plastic surgeons (cleft surgery involving skin)
- ear, nose and throat surgeons
- Paediatric (children’s) dentist
- speech and language therapists
- nurse specialists in cleft lip and palate
Orthodontic treatment may be required to prepare you for surgery or align your teeth and/or jaws. This treatment is also available at the QMC/KMH. For ease of travel, orthodontic services may be available closer to home, at your local hospital. Please discuss this with the cleft team at your appointment.
The mouth of a person with cleft lip and palate