Mainstreaming cancer genetics
The resources below have been developed to support implementation of BRCA testing through routine gynae-oncology appointments. We call this Mainstreaming Cancer Genetics (MCG).
This model of gene testing has been successfully implemented at other cancer genetics services such as the Marsden Hospital. We are currently piloting this scheme. The resources have been developed for use at the Nottingham University Hospitals and the district hospital which we serve.
The resources have been based around the published material from the Marsden Hospital and adapted for use within our Trust. Any of the specialist nurses or clinicians involved in the care of women with ovarian cancer can complete the training resources.
Steps for training
- Email email@example.com to arrange a time for face to face training.
- Watch the training videos before attending the face-to face teaching. Please view MCG ELM1 and MCG ELM2, on The Royal Marsden’s MCG YouTube channel.
- Read the frequently asked questions for gynae units document before the face to face training: MCG FAQ1.pdf [pdf] 325KB
- Face to face training to talk though any further questions and go through the protocol for testing and the consent procedure.
- You will be added to a list of clinicians who can order BRCA1/2 testing directly
- Consent form: MCG F1.doc [doc] 57KB
- Frequently asked questions booklet: MCG FAQ1.pdf [pdf] 325KB
- Protocol: MCG P2.pdf [pdf] 274KB
- Family history questionnaire: FHQ.xls [xls] 37KB
Information sheets for patients
- Information about BRCA testing: MCG IS1.doc [doc] 110KB
- A normal BRCA1/2 result: MCG IS2.doc [doc] 61KB
- A positive result: MCG IS3.doc [doc] 99KB
- An unclassified variant: MCG IS4.docx [docx] 96KB
- The Royal Marsden's Beginner's Guide to BRCA1/2
Suggested template letters for patients
- A normal BRCA1/2 result: MCG GRL1.doc [doc] 77KB
- A positive BRCA1/2 result: MCG GRL2.doc [doc] 80KB
- Unclassified variant: MCG GRL3.doc [doc] 77KB
If you have queries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.