Cancer referral management guide
In general, new referrals for breast, ovarian and bowel cancers should be sent to the appropriate family history clinic as detailed below unless the patient is terminally ill or there is a known mutation in the family.
If you have any questions regarding whether to refer a patient or want to discuss any details, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0115 962 7728. There is always a designated member of the clinical team available for telephone enquiries.
Breast cancer and ovarian cancer
- Nottingham and Newark area - Jackie O'Sullivan, Breast care nurse specialist. Breast Family History Clinic at the Breast Institute, Nottingham City Hospital Campus
- Mansfield area - Gill Clark, Breast care nurse specialist. Breast Family History Clinic, Welcome Breast Unit, King's Mill Hospital
- Derbyshire - Wendy Chorley, Family History Clinic Specialist, Familial Cancer Team, Royal Derby Hospital
- Mr Ahmed, Consultant Breast Surgeon, Breast Unit, Lincoln County Hospital
- Mr Thekkinkattil, Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, Breast Unit, Pilgrim Hospital, Boston
- Mr Potdar, Consultant General/Breast Oncoplastic/Reconstructive Surgeon Breast Unit, Grantham and District Hospital
- Newark area - Please contact the specialists from the Nottingham or Mansfield areas as appropriate.
- Nottingham area – Sarah Thomson, Colorectal Nurse Practitioner, BowelCancerFamily Service, QMC Campus
- Mansfield area - Sue Godber, Louise Smith, or Emma Heighway, Colorectal Nurse Specialist, Department of Surgery, King's Mill Hospital
- Derbyshire - Wendy Chorley, Family History Clinic Specialist, Familial Cancer Team, Royal Derby Hospital.
- Mr. S. Pillai, Consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon, Colorectal Services, Lincoln County Hospital;
- Mr G Ortonowski Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon, Colorectal Services, at Pilgrim Hospital, Boston
- Miss A Varma, Consultant General Surgeon, Grantham and District Hospital
- Newark area - Please contact the specialists from the Nottingham or Mansfield areas as appropriate
Other inherited cancers, complex cancer histories or referrals with known family mutations for pre-symptomatic testing should be referred directly to the Nottingham Clinical Genetics Service.
We can only accept referrals from a family history clinic when they are accompanied by a completed family history questionnaire. Referrals which are not suitable for a secondary care family history clinic can be accepted from a GP without a family history questionnaire. Please click here to download the questionnaire.
Please check with us if you are unsure.